I had the extreme privilege of being a dental assistant at the Ann Arbor VA Hospital for 4 years before going to dental school. While I was there I assisted perio surgeries pretty much weekly. Once the surgery is complete there is still the challenge of keeping the areas healthy now that they have been treated. Whatever habits got them to the point they needed surgery are probably still there and hard to break.
Here at the Dental Advisor, we recently received IORINSE® and IOGEL® (iotech international). These rinses are molecular iodine based. According to the manufacturer, because the iodine salts have been removed there is no issues with cross-allergies with shellfish, no issues of thyroid toxicity, no staining, and it has a pleasant flavor all while having a powerful antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antimicrobial activity. And… in case you are wondering, they all have flavoring and do not taste like iodine 😉
There are 3 different formulations:
– The IORINSE can be used as an oral-anticeptic pre-procedurally or as a mouthwash for patients to use 2x/day.
– The IORINSE Concentrate can be mixed with water in a patient’s waterflossing device for targeted action.
– The IOGEL can be used in trays
What were the Initial Insights of the Dental Advisor team?
– Great concept! We really want to see the effects of this product in action!
– Love that the iodine salts were removed, leaving the molecular iodine.
– The gel is a very nice thick consistency. It will likely stay pretty well in the trays.
– Have to admit that the mint-apple smell was not our favorite, but the cinnamon was nice.
– They claim no staining… we want to see this for ourselves.
What do our Clinical Evaluators and their patients think about this product once it’s used in their offices? Look for our clinical evaluation in an upcoming issue!