Fluoride has come a long way. I was in the generation of the fluoride trays with the foam. I remember it dribbling down my chin while I anxiously watched the hygienist for that glorious moment of reprieve when she would take the variety of contraptions out of my mouth. When I started practicing we were in the age of fluoride varnish; however, you had to try and dry the teeth to get it on, it was still thick and it left a very noticeable coating on your teeth. Now fluoride varnishes have evolved to the point where kids ALMOST don’t even complain about it! Almost.
Here at the Dental advisor, we recently received Profluorid Varnish (VOCO). This is the evolution of their previous version with: enhanced flow-ability, better translucency and fluoride releasing properties. According to the manufacturer this product:
- Comes in an easy, non-messy SingleDose delivery system
- Tooth-shaded color without yellow discoloration of teeth
- In five flavors without the unpleasant aftertaste of some other brands
- Adheres well to moist surface and sets quickly in seconds after contact with saliva
- High immediate fluoride release to relieve hypersensitivity
- Enhanced flow characteristics allow Profluorid Varnish to reach areas traditional varnishes may miss
- Contains Xylitol
- Does not contain: tree nuts, peanuts, corn, shellfish, eggs, milk protein, soy, gluten, triclosan, petrolium, red dye/artificial coloring, saccharin or aspartame
What were the Initial Insights of the Dental Advisor team and our editorial board?
– Great flavors including Melon, Cherry, Bubblegum, Caramel (my favorite), and Mint.
– Bonus being able to place on moist surfaces.
– Packaging seems a bit excessive.
– Nice and thin allowing for a better flow
What do our Clinical Evaluators and their patients think about this product once it’s used in their offices? Look for our clinical evaluation in an upcoming issue!