Bulk fill composite materials make a lot of sense for a busy practice. Being able to place material in 4 -5mm increments saves a practice’s most precious commodity… time. There have been many developments in bulk fill composites to make them more reliable and more esthetic.
We recently received SonicFill™ 3 (Kavo/Kerr) here at the Dental Advisor. The SonicFill line has brought a novel innovation to bulk fill composites, using sonic energy to make the material more flowable on placement. Once the sonic energy is removed from the material it becomes sculptable. The company claims that their latest edition, SonicFill 3, takes performance to the next level with improved adaptation and handling, and easier extrusion during placement. Their material is non-sticky and slump-free. In addition, cavities up to 5mm in depth can be filled in a single increment, without a need for a liner or capping layer. SonicFill 3 contains a nano-scale zirconsil (zirconium oxide + silica oxide) filler system, which provides effective blending, wear resistance, and strength.
What were the Initial Insights of the Dental Advisor team?
– Make sure you have a Kavo coupler for the handpiece. It is not included in the intro kit.
– The material extrudes at a very nice speed. The intro kit includes practice teeth to help you get used to the speed before using on a patient.
– The handpiece was a little more resonant than I was expecting.
– The material was very sculptable, as promised.
– Fairly opaque for a bulk fill material.
What do our Clinical Evaluators and their patients think about this product once it’s used in their offices? Look for our clinical evaluation in an upcoming issue!