There is a growing trend in the dental materials world, especially in cementation, and that trend is making products more versatile. We recently received Visalys CemCore (Kettenbach Dental) here at the Dental Advisor. Visalys CemCore is BOTH a dual-curing adhesive cement and core-buildup material. Talk about versatile… is this the future of dental materials?
What would this mean to your practice? It means you only need to stock one material for cementing posts, placing cores, and cementing your final restorations! According to the manufacturer this material will adhere to any substrate including :
- Precious metal restorations (e.g. PFM, Gold)
- Oxide ceramics (e.g. Lava, Procera, Bruxzir)
- Silicate ceramics (e.g. Obsidian, IPS Empress, IPS e.max)
- Hybrid ceramics (e.g. Lava Ultimate, VITA Enamic)
- Composites (e.g. Camaflage Nanohybrid Composite)
This material is available in five shades: Bleach, Universal, Translucent, Dark, and Opaque (see images below). All shades have matching try-in pastes (see image below).
Visalys CemCore is an adhesive cement. This means there is a separate bonding step. This system includes a tooth primer as well as a restorative primer that uses their Active-Connect-Technology. Their primers are extremely easy to use, only requiring a 20 second rub and drying with air. No need to light cure.
What were the Initial Insights of the Dental Advisor team and our editorial board?
– Although etching is only absolutely indicated when cementing to enamel, can use any kind of etching technique with this product. Dr. Sabiha Bunek (CEO of Dental Advisor) was excited to hear this, as she prefers to total etch whenever possible.
– Some of our board members are self-admittedly, notorious “mix and matchers” with bonding agents. The chemistry in this product does not allow trading out the tooth primer, but provides the strong bond strengths. Will they love the tooth primer as well as their current bonding agents? We can’t wait to find out!
– We liked the shade selection.
– Thin mixing tip allows for precise placement.
– The editorial board was abuzz about the versatility of this product, and were all excited to take it back to their offices to evaluate!
What do our Clinical Evaluators and their patients think about this product once it’s used in their offices? Look for our clinical evaluation in an upcoming issue!